Africa Oil Corp. and Tullow Oil, its operating partner, have temporarily suspended all operations in Block 10BB and Block 13T in Northern Kenya. The decision was made after a weekend of demonstrations by the local people who are angry at issues regarding their employment.
The oil giants have said that they take their relationship with the local communities seriously and the decision to suspend exploration and appraisal operations was taken to prevent further escalation of the demonstrations. Tullow said that it was working closely with the local communities and with the local and national government in an effort to resume work at the site.
- Tullow Oil: North Kenya Operations Temporarily Suspended (economicvoice.com)
- Tullow Oil face further Kenya problems (theoilandgasworld.wordpress.com)
- Tullow Oil slides as it halts drilling in Kenya (theguardian.com)
- Tullow Oil Suspends Operations In Northern Kenya (spyghana.com)
- Tullow shares fall after protests over jobs at drilling sites (independent.ie)